Happy New Year!
I hope the festivities were wonderful and the champagne was flowing freely!!!
The only downside to all the partying is that invariably you end up with a fridge full of leftovers. This year we were inundated with leftover chicken so, if you ever find yourself in the same situation, here are two ways to use it up.
My first leftover chicken recipe uses one of my favourite retro ingredients, the vol au vent shell. (Sorry Glenda, still store-bought!)
And it’s simples – mix up a white sauce add some tarragon, stir in your chicken, fill your vol au vent cups, sprinkle on some cheese and in a couple of minutes you have a super cute little appetizer with which to kick off your next party!
My Chicken and Tarragon Vol Au Vents are based on a recipe I found in a Feast Magazine but can also be found here.
My next take on leftover chicken is a more modern Chicken, Avocado and Chipotle Tortilla which you can serve two ways.
The way suggested in the book I got this recipe from (A Moveable Feast by Katy Holder) is as a wrap. I made one of these and took it to work (yes, sadly I worked between Christmas and New Year). It was tasty but I am not a fan of the taste of cooked avocado and even putting the wrap into the sandwich press was enough to turn the taste from from delicious fresh to not so good cooked. If you like cooked avocado, or you want this all to yourself, this could be just the thing for you!
If however, like me you do not like the taste of cooked avocado, or you want to share the deliciousness, turn it into a “pizza”
Heat the tortilla until crispy, sprinkle the chicken, avocado and the chipotle salsa over the top, cut into slices and serve immediately to your guests as an appetizer. (Or eat it all by yourself! I won’t judge you.
Sorry about the two different recipe formats, I could not find a plug in that allowed me to post multiple recipes!
- 1 tortilla
- 1/4 cup chopped leftover chicken
- 1/4 avocado, roughly chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce (or to taste)
- 1 sprig of coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1 tsp lime juice
- Salt and Pepper
- At least one hour before serving, make your salsa.
- Discard the seeds from the tomato, mix with the onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice. Season to taste.
- Set aside to allow the flavours to blend.
- Just before serving, drain the salsa, neither of these recipes needs soggy tortilla!
- Heat the tortilla under the grill until it gets crispy.
- Once the tortilla is crispy, take it out of the oven and top with the chicken, avocado and salsa.
- Cut into slices and serve immediately.
- Perfect with an ice cold beer!
- Warm the tortilla according to packet instructions, to soften.
- Spread a line of chicken, a line of avocado and a line of salsa in the middle of the tortilla, leaving a 2 cm gap on all sides.
- Fold in the bottom, rotate 90* and fold over one side then the other.
- Tuck the remaining side of tortilla, securing with a toothpick.
- Place into your sandwich press or under your grill and heat until the outside of the tortilla is golden and crispy.
- Don't forget to remove the toothpick before eating!