No retro food today just a random collection of what I’m doing and loving at the moment. I love it when other bloggers do this so I thought I might give it a go. The title for this is inspired by this gorgeous song by Missy Higgins, covering an old Split Enz song which I have just rediscovered on my ipod.
Stuff I’m Listening To
A work mate suggested the Welcome To Night Vale podcast to me. And I am loving it!!! Quirky kooky at it’s best!!!
Stuff I’m Reading
I joined a book club!!! Our book of the month is Us by David Nicholls. I am so excited to read this. I loved his last book, One Day. Also a bit scared about the whole book club thing. First meeting next Monday!
I have just finished reading this which I loved. This was one of those books where I just wished I had had the idea to do it. This was so funny although it did get a bit repetitive at times but this may have been because I read it in pretty much a day. And like most diets, it left me wanting more!
I’m loving Flawless Visions take on MKR. Hilarious
So sad that Yinzerella is taking March off.
Stuff I’m Watching
MKR as mentioned.
I’m loving season 2 of Broadchurch
Stuff I’m Cooking
I took a fairly ordinary baked vanilla cheesecake and fancied it up with the addition of some Chambord and a take on Sabrina Ghayour’s Strawberries with Basil Sugar. This was delicious!!!
- 125g plain sweet biscuits
- 125g gingernut biscuits
- 125g melted butter
- 60ml cream
- 100g white chocolate
- 110g castor sugar
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 2 tbsp Chambord
- 400g raspberries
- 1 1/2 tbsp castor sugar
- Good handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Pour the Chambord over raspberries and leave to macerate.
- Put the chopped basil in a mortar with the castor sugar and, using the pestle, grind down the sugar with the mint until the sugar turns green.
- Crush the plain biscuits and the gingernuts in your food processor until they resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Transfer to a large bowl and stir in the melted butter.
- Press biscuit mixture evenly over the base of a 24cm springform pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to slow - 150C.
- Place cream and chocolate into a small heavy bottomed pan, stir over low heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese and caster sugar in a medium bowl until just smooth.
- Add the mascarpone.
- Beat until combined.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the chocolate mixture, the vanilla and the cornflour.
- Pour this mixture onto the crumb mix.
- Bake in a slow oven for about 55 minutes or until just set.
- Cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- Refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, place the Chambord marinated raspberries on top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with the basil sugar