Eggs and Spinach are a classic combo. Think Eggs Florentine, Spinach Quiche or Spinach Soufflé. Well today we are using eggs and spinach to create a twist on the dish The A -Z of Cooking calls Eggs With Spinach. Uh huh. What it lacks in imagination, it makes up for in precision. But it’s also from a chapter called Watching Your Weight and, to be honest, the original recipe was a little meh….So, whilst staying in the spirit of Eggs with Spinach here’s my version. What it lacks in weight watching, it makes up for in flavour.
Given that choice, always make flavour the winner. Just go for a run the next day!
My eggs and spinach recipe contains spinach lightly sauteed in garlic, mixed with a little cream, sprinkled with nutmeg, topped with cheese and baked with an egg until the white is set and the yolk is runny perfection!
Did anyone say brunch? These eggs with spinach scale up really well for a group at brunch or make a great quick and easy supper for one!
I used fresh baby spinach in my Eggs with Spinach, however you could use frozen. Below is a great vintage ad for frozen spinach. Note the awesome striped t-shirt being worn by Dinah Shore and the perfectly coordinated polka dot apron. She’s rocking my favourite patterns and showing that the rule of “blue and green should never be seen” is as dumb AF. Go Dinah. OMG, I only just noticed her gorgeous green shoes with the bows. I want that entire outfit! I wonder if back in the day women everywhere were also exclaiming “Glory be….fuck the spinach, get me that t-shirt and those shoes…”
Does anyone say “Glory be” anymore?
Did anyone ever?
Before we travel down that etymological rabbit hole here’s the recipe:
- 500g baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 25g butter
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cream
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced.
- Lightly grease four 3/4 cup-capacity ovenproof dishes.
- Wash the baby spinach.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat and add the garlic.
- Saute for a minute or two until the garlic softens but does not change colour.
- Add the spinach and stir until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the cream and nutmeg.
- Divide the spinach into two and place in two ramekin dishes.
- Make an indent in the middle and break and egg into each.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for around 15 minutes or until the egg white is just set but yolk is still runny.
- Remove from oven. Stand for 2 minutes.
- Serve with toast.
Scarf (Replaces Apron) or add a bit of green with something like this
Shoes And more shoes
That was awesome fun! Now I gotta go do it in real life. Have a good one!